- The Premier Italian American Newspaper Since 1931 -



(pics on drive)

KOREAN WAR VETERAN Mario Cesario, of Newark, NJ, earned the Korean Service Medal with 2 Bronze Stars for his heroic service to his country. He was a Private First Class with the U.S. Army from 1948 to 1949. He did his basic training at Fort Sill, OK. He was called up to active duty for a second time in 1951, serving with Company A 43rd Armed Infantry Battalion from 1951 to 1952, in Huyndai, South Korea. Now retired owner of Savino’s Sporting Goods in Nutley, Mr. Cesario is 88 years old and resides in Toms River. A graduate of Barringer High School, he was the son of immigrant parents, Edwardo and Enrichetta (Miranda) Cesareo of San Giorgio a Liri, Italy. He is the father of four, Rita, Mario, Theresa and Michele; grandfather of Elena, Jenna, Mario, L.J., Emilio, Alex, Lisa and Rachel and great-grandfather of Maelana, Everett, Lawrence, Marcela and one due this July.

(caption for photo already down)

SAILOR BOY – Frank LaMorte was a little ‘sailor boy’ who wanted to be like his uncle, Peter Ciccone. Peter served in the US Navy during WWII when this photo was taken in 1944. Both since deceased, Susan LaMorte, sister and niece of the above submitted this photo.


(p/u pics from page 18 5/25/2017)


BROTHERS Sal, right and Americo Marucci had a chance meeting in 1944 at Fort McClellan, Alabama. Neither one knew of each other’s whereabouts during the war. Sal was later sent overseas to New Caledonia and the Philippines. As a First Lieutenant, he won the Silver Star for bravery in Luzon. He finished his tour of duty in Tokyo. “Wego,” as Americo was called, was drafted out of pre-medical school in 1944. He served with the medical corps in Europe.


ANOTHER BROTHER, Phil Marucci, Ph.D., served during WWII in 1941 as a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force since America was not in the fighting yet. His specialty was entomology and was sent to Brazil to study the Amazon diseases of the jungles. He later went to Panama to work on a cure for malaria, as many soldiers were dying from the disease.


DAN MARUCCI was in the Army Air Corps and was sent to Brazil to ferry planes. He was 22 when Uncle Sam called. The four brothers were the sons of Donato and Rosa Marucci of Orange, NJ, who came to America from Alberona, Italy. All four returned home after the war.

(pics on drive)

ANTHONY STAGLIANO was a young ’orphan’ in Naples, Italy, of the 1950s. It was the law then, if one parent had died you were considered an orphan. If you had relatives in America you could be sent there to live. That little boy was in that predicament. On May 1, 1952, Anthony Stagliano went with his father where he was left with the Italian Council in Naples. He stayed there for five days and then the authorities pinned a note on him and sent him by plane to New York. The nuns at the orphanage took care of him in this trying time until being sent to relatives in Philadelphia. His Uncle Vincent greeted him in his native Italian language and took care of him until the family was reunited in 1958. He is pictured above with his father, who came with his two sisters.

YEARS LATER, Anthony Stagliano served his adopted country in the Armed Forces. He was married for 49 years to JoAnne Siciliano and was the father of Maria Russo, Angela Ewan, Gina Angelo and Anthony J. Stagliano Jr. and grandfather of Julia, Mia Rose, Natalie, Josephine, Anthony Philip. Angelina, Cecilia, Anthony J. III, Maximus, Eric and Katelyn. He worked for the city of Philadelphia Court System, Housing Authority for over 40 years until his passing in 2017.