1. The flag is always hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.
2. The flag is never allowed to touch the ground or floor.
3. When hung over a sidewalk on a rope extending from a building to a pole, the union stars are always away from the building.
4. When vertically hung over the center of the street, the flag always has the union stars to the north in an east/west street and to the east in a north/south street.
5. The flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of states or localities of pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs.
6. The flag should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up in folds but always allowed to free fall.