Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Newark was presented with the 2018 Bergen County Historic Preservation Award for its Holy Cross Cemetery 1936 Office Building Preservation Project in North Arlington, New Jersey. The awards are presented annually by Bergen County Executive James J. Tedesco III, the Board of Chosen Freeholders, the Department of Parks, the Division of Cultural and Historic Affairs and the Bergen County Historic Preservation Advisory Board. Joseph Verzi, Assistant Executive Director of Catholic Cemeteries, was on hand to accept the award.
“The essence of historic preservation is exemplified uniquely in our cemeteries because they serve as a primary place of remembrance of those we loved,” said Verzi.
Holy Cross Cemetery’s office building was added to the cemetery grounds in 1936, three decades after the cemetery opened. One-fifth of North Arlington, roughly 208 acres, would lead to it becoming the largest Catholic Cemetery in New Jersey, with over 300,000 memorials, or roughly 20 interments for every living person in the town.
Central to the cemetery’s operations has been the historic Holy Cross office building, which was restored during the period of 2012 through 2017. Holy Cross Cemetery was the recipient of another prestigious award earlier this year, the 2017-2018 American Cemetery Excellence (ACE) Award. Holy Cross Cemetery also was featured prominently in media coverage last fall when the town of North Arlington was named as one of Money magazine’s top 10 places to live in the U.S.
To learn more about Holy Cross Cemetery and Mausoleum and the Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Newark, visit www.rcancem.org.