- 2 (1 lb) balls pizza dough, store bought or homemade
- 1⁄2 lb sliced fontina or provolone
- 1⁄2 lb sliced soppressata, hot or sweet
- 12 slices roasted sweet pepper
- 3 cups sautéed spinach, drained well
- 12 large fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped green olives
- 2 large eggs
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Let the dough come to room temperature, then roll each out on a lightly floured surface into a rectangle. With the longest edge closest to you, spread the chopped olives, then layer the meat, cheese, sweet pepper, spinach, and basil leaves over half, leaving a 1⁄2 inch border. Fold the top half of the dough over the filling and pinch the three seams closed with your fingers.
Carefully turn the Stromboli over and place it on a lightly oiled baking sheet, tucking the pinched seams under. Beat the eggs with 2 tbsp of water and brush the top and sides with the egg wash.
Bake 20-25 min until golden brown and puffy. Let rest 10-15 min before slicing into 1-in thick pieces.